12/10/2012

Reindeer on a Rug, similar to Elf on the Shelf!

Okay, so you have most likely heard of the oh so popular "Elf on the Shelf"?  It's a children's book that comes with a magical elf.  The elf watches the children and reports back to Santa.  He tells Santa if the children have been naughty or nice.  I thought that it looked like fun, and actually wanted to buy it a few years ago...until I saw that it cost $30.00.  Okay, so we are students and cheap....so I didn't buy it and life went on. ; )

Last week I was reading through some of my friends private blogs.  My dear friend Savannah had this awesome idea where she had bought a reindeer at dollar tree and wrote a poem similar to the one used with elf on the shelf.  

In the book it says that if children touch the elf then it will loose it's magical powers.  Savannah has 3 boys, and I have 2 of my own.  We didn't like the idea of our children not being able to touch the elf.....with this "Reindeer on the Rug" your little ones can touch the reindeer all they want!  No magical powers lost here! ; ) Anyways, I thought this was a BRILLIANT idea, and I'm so glad that Savannah was willing to share the words of her poem with us.

I've made a free printable for anyone wanting to save some money and join in on the fun!  All you will need to do is print this off and swing by dollar tree and pick up a little stuffed animal reindeer and you'll be ready to go.

My husband and I introduced "Reindeer on a Rug" to my 2 boys tonight and they loved it!  My boys have been excited to watch the movie "The Polar Express" all day long.  Right before the movie started they found the reindeer and the poem.  We introduced it to them, they seemed excited but were ready to watch the movie.  I'm excited for them to find the reindeer in the morning and maybe even come up with a name!

Our family is still young enough, we are are experimenting with family traditions.
What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/11/2012

    Hi! I'm your newest follower and was kinda maybe sorta hopin' that you'd hop on by my blog and follow me back!!

    xoxo-
    Sarah
    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I've never heard of this one before, but I'msure it's just as fun! We just started Elf on the Shelf this year, but we found our own (cheaper) elf. :) Thanks for linking up to tip toe thru tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! That would be awesome to find a reindeer with moving eyes! Or even remote controlled eyes to freak them out into obedience. lol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...